domingo, 27 de noviembre de 2011

Trabajo en New Zealand

To work in New Zealand as a doctor you need to be registered with the Medical Council of New Zealand (MCNZ). The registration process is generally straight forward, and usually doctors who have qualified and worked in countries with comparable health systems are not required to sit any exams to gain registration with the MCNZ.
The following is a guide only, as policies may be subject to change by the MCNZ. Further information is available on the Council website at
There are four types of pathways to gain registration in New Zealand, with each requiring different criteria. NZLocums will determine the best pathway to registration (licensure) for you and discuss the requirements with you.
If you have been working in any of the following countries for 36 (or more) months out of the last 48 (international graduates) it is likely you will be eligible to apply for MCNZ registration:
  • Australia
  • Austria
  • Belgium
  • Canada
  • Denmark
  • Finland
  • France
  • Germany
  • Greece 
  • Hong Kong 
  • Iceland
  • Israel  
  • Italy
  • Norway
  • Republic of Ireland
  • Singapore
  • Spain 
  • Sweden
  • Switzerland
  • The Netherlands
  • United Kingdom
  • United States of America
Australian, English and Irish graduates must have successfully completed your internship year and hold full registration in your home country.
For those doctors that have not worked in the listed countries you may be required to sit the MCNZ registration examination before being approved for medical registration in New Zealand.
If you have a post graduate qualification from any country and are practising as a consultant / specialist in your own country you may be eligible to apply for vocational (specialist) registration in New Zealand. Contact us for more details.

If English is not your first language you may first need to sit the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) English test - Academic module.

The following scores in the Academic Module of the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) are required within one examination:
Minimum requirements:
- Speaking 7.5
- Listening 7.5
- Writing 7.0
- Reading 7.0
In some instances the MCNZ may allow you to be exempt from this test if you have worked in an English speaking country for 2 years within the 5 years preceding your application. You can find out about places and dates to sit this test at

Supervision for overseas Doctors

Whether you are a junior doctor or a consultant, supervision is a requirement of the MCNZ for all new registrants, (the exception is Australian graduates), and is an excellent way to integrate and familiarise yourself with practicing in New Zealand. The role of the supervisor is to assist the Council in determining that you have the required skills, knowledge and attitudes to practise safely in New Zealand to a standard comparable to your peers in this country.
NZLocums organises supervision arrangements prior to your arrival in New Zealand. Your supervisor may change if you move to a different location to work.
As a part of your supervisory relationship, supervisors are available to:
  • Discuss difficult or unusual cases
  • Randomly review and discuss patient notes
  • Discuss patient and staff feedback
  • Observe consultations as far as is practical
  • Encourage personal growth and development
You will be required to work under supervision for a period of 12 to 24 months depending on what registration pathway you apply under.

domingo, 13 de noviembre de 2011

Working as a Doctor in the U.S.

Working as a Doctor in the U.S.

United States Medical Licensing Examination

The USMLE assesses a physician's ability to apply knowledge, concepts and principles that are important in health and disease and that constitute the basis of safe and effective patient care. Each of the three complements the others; no one can stand alone in the assessment of readiness for medical licensure.

Because individual medical licensing authorities make decisions regarding use of USMLE results, you should contact the jurisdiction where you intend to apply for licensure to obtain complete information. The Federation of State Medical Boards" can provide general information on medical licensure.

The following sites also may help: